Excess Economic Damages

If you are injured in a Michigan automobile accident, you are entitled to excess economic damages, which include past, present and future out of pocket expenses that are not compensable under the Michigan No-Fault benefits. For example, if you are entitled to wage loss through your no-fault insurance company but earn more than the monthly maximum (i.e. $4,589.00 per month for 2007), then you are entitled to that difference between what you were paid and what you would have made had you not been injured. Further, if you are permanently disabled or disabled beyond 3 years from the date of the accident and, as a result, will sustain a loss of income beyond the 3 year no-fault work loss benefit period, then excess economic loss could be recovered under a tort liability claim. In order to recover excess economic damages in a third party liability claim, you do not have to prove a threshold injury (i.e. serious impairment of body function or permanent serious disfigurement).